Friday, May 20, 2011

Let the light in...



Command Center Tutorial

When we first moved into our house our family room was dark and dreary, we saw the potential...


Well before I show you the pictures

please don't be frightened, I can't believe it's the same room either...



The next picture is the little nook we made into an office...

Don't mind the mess, this is when we first started painting...

With a lot of paint, a new carpet and a small contruction job of adding a mudroom off the back door
this is what it looks like today...

Paint can REALLY lighten a room and drastically change the mood and feel...

Don't mind the messy, unpainted cubbies...
they are on my "to do" list...


What I really wanted to show you is how to build a command center in your home,
I love ours, it helps keep us organized ( a word my children already use, this frightens my hubby)!

 This is what it looks like...


This an upclose...
Everyone has a magnetic white board for messages, their is a monthly family calendar, a cup for dry erase markers and each child has a bin for homework folders and papers to keep.
I keep a "pretty" file folder in there so there arn't any loose papers...


On the closet I painted rectangles with chalk board paint (usually funny quotes go on there),
and corkboard strips for artwork to be displayed...

Across from this we made a built in desk...


The top cupboards were alreaady there, I just jazzed them up with some pretty trim and a lot of paint...
the bottom are cabinets I bought from JC Penny ( I waited for a sale)
The left side is two file drawers and the right is a drawer and a cabinet...
The top is a piece of laminet we bought from an overstock home supply warehouse and my hubby just cut it to fit...

With the additions of corkboards, white boards and wire bins
we have a place for everything....

(not that it ALWAYS looks like this...)

If you have questions please share them, someone else might be thinking the same thing...

Let me know if you want help setting this up in your home,
afterall IT IS my job, NOW!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment